Julia's Polyvore Sets Find me on Polyvore »

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Julia: My first, albeit short, book review.

Book: Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
Rating: aMust Reada

Okay, so this book I just started and finished yesterday, Prozac Nation, has changed my life.

Not really. It just gave me insight to truths I knew yet couldn’t possibly articulate for myself. Not only was it incredibly moving and not only did it hit all too close to home, but reading it was like reading pure poetry. And if anyone can appreciate poetry, I assure you, it is me (having read Leaves of Grass thirty times, at minimum. It looks like it’s
been through World War II, which, of course, it has.) It is absolutely beautiful rhetoric and prose; the articulation could hold your attention all on its own; the story is ground-breaking, in addition.

I would love to recommend Prozac Nation to all, but in the interest of being honest, it just isn’t a book that I feel would appeal to all audiences, though I desperately wish it did, that it could. I don’t think everybody would be able to sympathize, let alone empathize, as I did; especially not if the topic at hand is particularly foreign to the reader. But, definitely give it a shot. With the right candidate, it could truly be life-altering. Or enlightening, at the very least.

Needless to say, I loved it.

There were numerous quotes that made me stop reading and reflect immediately. I’ll share one such quote:

“…to drag your feet here, there, and everywhere, nowhere at all… I must move, must get farther and farther from this fire that’s going to burn all of me down. It is cold outside, but I’m crazy from the heat.”
Page 208, Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

My next book: Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan

Bare with me, here.

Love,
Julia

No comments: